Has Your Child Just Been Evaluated for or Gotten an AAC device or app?
Does your child have an AAC device or app, but not use it as effectively as he/she could?
Are you trying to figure out what AAC is and whether it could benefit your child?
Are you feeling overwhelmed?
Weekly groups for parents of new, experienced, and potential AAC users will meet virtually on
· Fridays (starting November 6th) from 6:30-7:15 pm AND
· Saturdays (starting November 7th) from 4:30-5:15 pm.
· Same material will be covered on Fridays and Saturdays. Pick one or come to both if you wish.
· Spanish interpretation will be available at some sessions.
· Each session will start with the presentation of information, ideas, and examples on how to best implement augmentative and alternative communication with your child at home. After the speech therapist’s initial presentation, time will remain for families to ask questions, share resources or success stories, and get to know each other.
Potential topics include: Aided Language Stimulation, Benefits of using AAC with nonverbal and minimally verbal children, Using vocabulary and word search features, Core Words, a basic explanation of Language Acquisition Through Motor Planning (LAMP), Communication Functions (On beyond, I want…), Personalizing your Child’s device, Expectant Waiting (or, Why isn’t the speech therapist saying anything…?).
Cathy Kusmin, M.A., CCC-SLP, Certified Autism Specialist, has been at PDC for 5.5 years, particularly enjoys working with autistic and low verbal children and their families, and believes that independent, self-directed communication means “being able to say what I want to say, to whoever I want to say it to, whenever I want to say it, however I choose to say it.” (Quoted from Gayle Porter, Speech Pathologist, Developer of PODD)